Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I spent last week playing with water mixable oil paints and I don't like them. I hate this painting I did using them.

I think I have a pretty safe studio but I worry about being around paints and solvents so much. Using water mixable oils would get rid of solvents but I just can't do what I want with them. So, I decided to only use the regular oils that have an AP label, and wear finger cots while painting. (Finger cots are like gloves but they just cover your fingers, not your whole hand.) I also use an exhaust fan. Feel free to leave a comment or e-mail me info on safe studio info.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine Cassidy said...

I study with a teacher who uses and has students use a solvent free system as she developed multiple sensitivities and can't be around them anymore. We clean brushes with walnut oil and at the end of painting use a soap & water to clean the brushes. We do not do any turps & color washes, we paint thinly, layering, using Maroger medium. I took a workshop where everyone had open containers of Gamsol and had a headache everyday from it.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Brendy Vaughn said...

I use Gamsol but keep the lid on the container 90% of the time and use an exhaust fan. I tried painting without it but didn't like not having a clean brush when I switched colors. I'll try using the oil to clean and look into using Maroger medium. Thanks for the info!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Strange, I never heard to talk about oil colours with water and gamsol. I only use classical ingredients which are pigments, oil and solvents...

2:36 PM  
Blogger Brendy Vaughn said...

I normally use traditional oil paints with solvents. I wanted to get rid of solvents so I tried using water based oils. You can see what I mean here: http://www.dickblick.com/categories/watermiscibleoils/ I wasn't using solvent with the water miscible oils.

I didn't like the water miscible oils so I went back to the traditional oils.
Make sense?

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home