Friday, June 06, 2008

"Field of Flowers"
SOLD


I'm reading Fill Your Oil Paintings with Light & Color by Kevin D. Macpherson. He suggests limiting your palette to Cadmium Yellow Pale, Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Winsor Green and Titanium White. That's what I used for this painting with the addition of a little Cerulean Blue and no Winsor Green (I didn't have any).

I've also been doing some of the color mixing exercises he suggests. I thought using so much white would make the colors washed out but it was a really useful exercise. I sometimes have a tendency to use too much saturated color with out any grayer tones to make any one color stand out. These show varying mixtures of Cadmium Yellow Pale, Alizarin Crimson and Ultramarine Blue. Each combination was reduced with white five times making lighter and lighter variations of the original mixture.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Brendy, I think there is a lovely depth and integrity to this painting and I think the subtle slightly "toned down" colours work really well. This is one of those subjects which looks so easy but in fact is so hard to do.

3:11 AM  
Blogger Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

Very nice! Isn't it amazing how many wonderul color a person can get with a limited palette? Your paintings are as beautiful as you are. Keep up the good work!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Brendy Vaughn said...

I'm so glad you guys left a comment. It's so hard to know if I'm heading in the right direction sometimes.

Yes Sheila, this subject was harder than I originally thought it would be!

You're so sweet Gaye. Hope to see you soon.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home